Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Alumni News > OW Memories from the Junior (Prep) School

OW Memories from the Junior (Prep) School

28 Jun 2023
Alumni News

As part of the celebrations for the 75th Anniversary of the Prep (Junior) School we have received some lovely memories and stories from yesteryear.  The full stories will be added to the website later in the year but here are a few we thought you would enjoy.

Andrew Woodward (1972)

The "dungeons" under the school where we hung our coats.

The timber classrooms at the top of the playground. Four adjoined in a row and a single one opposite which was Mr Wade's.

Major Radcliffe - an authoritarian, no nonsense ex officer but a kind man nonetheless.

Mr Smith - my form teacher. Young and good fun. English I think. I remember him reading The Hobbit to us complete with voices.

James Bunting (1972)

“During the Easter Holiday of 1965 a group of us set off from what is now Ritchie House, and was then the Junior School, for Bath to catch the first of seven trains and a boat that would take us to Champery in Switzerland to go skiing.  (The full story will be on the website later in the year!)

Charlotte Sheaf (Guillard) (2007)

Alice in Wonderland at Edinburgh Fringe
The 'hole in the wall' where teachers used to check to see if your hands were clean before being allowed to cross to the to the dining room.

David Beacham (1958)

I was at the Junior School in the 1950s. I remember three headmasters there in quick succession. At that time the Junior School was in New Street at the bottom of the Liberty. The first headmaster was a man called Hall. I well remember him because he used to come and sit at the door at the back which opened onto the playground and on the far side were some timber classrooms. He would sit with his pipe is his mouth chatting to us children. He was the most human of headmasters I ever came across. A lovely man.

Let us know if you remember any of those mentioned above!

If you would like to share stories or memories from your time here, we would love to hear from you.  Click here to get in touch.  We hope to build a collection about the whole school for the website and it would be great for our archives!

Similar stories

Have your say

Address
Wells Cathedral School
The Liberty, Wells, Somerset, BA5 2ST

Quick Links

Follow us on Social

This website is powered by
ToucanTech