Attention: You are using an outdated browser, device or you do not have the latest version of JavaScript downloaded and so this website may not work as expected. Please download the latest software or switch device to avoid further issues.

News > Friends of Music News > Chairman's Letter August 2020

Chairman's Letter August 2020

Dear Friends, 

I hope you have been enjoying some of the streamed and recorded performances from the students prior to the summer break. They both defy the strictures of the pandemic but also stand as a testament to the quality of teaching, learning and technical support that has been possible over this period. 

I am sorry to report that we have lost some Friends over the past few months. I’m aware of a few names, among them Beryl Siddons and John Croxford. Clive Browning, husband of a former colleague, Mary, and father to James, also passed away recently. We are grateful for all of the support that they have given to this scheme and our thoughts lie with their families in their loss. We have also lost Elsa van der Zee. Many of you will be aware that Elsa served on the committee of the FOMWCS for many years. She was also on the governing body of the school, and following that, an advisor, particularly to the Music Faculty. We will all miss her remarkable intellect, warmth and depth of wisdom arising from a remarkable career as a broadcaster, linguist and educationalist. 

I write on the brink of a new academic year and in more normal times my letter would be accompanied by a Cedars Hall brochure for the Autumn season. Instead there is an update on the current situation at school, from Mark Stringer, as he and the school community face further challenges as the response to the pandemic evolves. There is much that is positive taking place and much to enjoy. I would hope that everyone can appreciate the continuing need for caution and attention to public safety that prevents live performances with an audience taking place just yet. Please everybody, stay safe. 

With Best Wishes 

John Williams (Chairman)

Similar stories

Have your say

Address
Wells Cathedral School
The Liberty, Wells, Somerset, BA5 2ST

Quick Links

Follow us on Social

This website is powered by
ToucanTech